Thursday, March 9, 2017

March 8 Message from Satyajit Dattagupta, VP of Enrollment Management and Dean of Admissions


Dear Students,

I write to you because I am deeply saddened and angered by the attacks on three Indians in incidents in Washington, Missouri, and South Carolina. There are no words which can describe the fear and sorrow the families and communities of these victims are going through. My thoughts are always with them.

I also know that some of you have had personal experiences in New Orleans that have made you feel unwelcome. However, I believe these are isolated incidents that do not define what the United States stands for, and do not reflect the attitudes and beliefs of the millions of people who live here.

As a student when I came to this country 18 years ago, I quickly learned that there are people of good intent - and those of ill that represent every race. By living in a nation built upon hundreds of years of immigration from every part of the world, I came to see that I was just one of so very many who had come here in search of a better life.

I still believe in the American dream. I believe in an America that allows people to succeed regardless of the color of their skin, their religion, or their appearance.

However, one cannot ignore the current climate in the U.S. or that the victims in all three of these incidents targeted were Indian, and I wanted to give you some specific advice as well.

Firstly, I counsel everyone to be patient during this time. I believe that this is a phase of isolated incidents that will pass. I don’t believe anyone should jeopardize their future with any decisions in the heat of the moment.

Secondly, I would suggest caution and awareness. Do not argue or engage with people when remarks are made about your presence here. You will not change their minds. And never let their hate convince you that you are somehow less because of where you come from.

And lastly, I suggest that you think ahead to the future, to visualize your life as a successful student and professional rather than being derailed by the acts of a few ignorant people.

Immigrants have always sought new opportunities and taken brave steps across the world. In America, they have made great opportunities, built strong communities, raised families, and lived prosperous lives. And in this process, they have become another part of the success of the American dream.

We are a resilient people. Nothing will ever change that.

I also want you to know that I am available to talk with you if you need, and can reach me at satyajit@tulane.edu.

Thank you.


Satyajit Dattagupta
Vice President for Enrollment Management and Dean of Admission
Tulane University



No comments:

Post a Comment